Sunday, December 7, 2008

Bombay Heights












Bus Ride – Bangalore – Bombay


I boarded the bus around seven in the night and till about 10 in the morning, was not sure as to which all cities we zipped past. Unlike other long distance bus travels this one was quite comfortable. From morning 10 till about 12 in the afternoon the ride was very scenic. If I were to forget that I was in India, it was something very much like a Euro bus trip. I did not expect that it would be so scenic and was taken by surprise.


Mr. Kolpert, a play by David Gieselmann at NCPA


I took an instant liking for the National Center for Performing Arts (NCPA), both by its architecture and location. In a city like Bombay where every inch of space counts, NCPA stood starkly different. I get to understand that its hexagonal auditorium is one of its kinds in South Asia. Above all that; I begin to savor the joy of being at a place which provides a platform to so many budding aspirants, and brings renowned artists to the many lovers of art.

Mr. Kolpert has five characters – Ralph and Sarah, the leading couple who invite Bastian and Edith over to their house for want of entertainment and then there is a pizza delivery boy. This play is directed by Anshuman Jha, in spite of the list of accolades listed about this young director on the internet, I personally did not find the performance by him as Ralph to be anything remarkable. His obsession with the mug from which he was apparently sipping his ‘cognac’ was more of a means to control his fidgety hands. Nisha Lalvani delivers a good performance throughout from start till end, whereas Amrita Puri, though she appears to be quite dumb and fake initially, later kind of explodes with emotions.

On thinking about the play now, I feel; how for the duration of the play we as a part of the audience are transported in time and space. It’s purely the expertise of the actors to make us believe to be a part of their lives. I for instance had completely lost track of my surroundings, the people sitting next to me and anything else whatsoever. It relieved my mind of all the small and big things which were running around all over it.

(I was quite intrigued by the remark of a young boy, eleven or twelve, who said, that ‘the view was quite flat’ from the seats in front of the stage when compared to the view from the balcony of the auditorium.)


Marine Drive, South Bombay

This boulevard, in the evening, was the best thing that I discovered in Bombay. The view of the city from the sea shore on which this promenade is built was akin to what the Manhattan I always think would be…There were all kinds of people and though getting a place to perch on the kerb was difficult, yet all of them are oblivious of what you or others do. Big cars zipping by on side and the waves lashing on the other side, was to me where the civilization of Bombay ended and was put to rest by the sea. It is a slice of Bombay, which will always be close to me.


Days of Glory, (Indigenes), PVR Juhu

Directed by Rachid Bouchareb, this not one of the gory war movies; it’s beyond war, beyond causalities. It’s a tale well told, well made and well delivered. I remember Jamel from Amelie and Asterix and Obelix as a funny little man, with a very unique way of delivering dialogs, with a sort of typical accent. I thought of him sometimes as a fidgety mouse on loose. But then, his performance in the movie is quite intense, but similar mannerisms. The movie was a great insight into those times, the terrain, the morals, the people and the struggle.


Café Mondegar, Colaba

Well I was thinking what the hype is about this place is, and when I step in from a rather small doorway, which has hawkers for all sorts of things, I am welcomed to trance in the midst of a bustle. Even sans the music and the graffiti on the walls, the place was a haven for all seeking refuge from the hum-drum of the city outside.


Bade Miya, behind Taj at Gateway of India

Delicious, yummy food and must go for all those take a delight in Indian spices and preparation. In fact, that’s the place where I decided, had to go once again before I left Bombay.


Basilico and Candies, Bandra

The peach iced tea at Basilico and the cold coffee at Candies are something which entices me to visit these places again. Both these places had a string of people immersed in their own worlds dropping by.


Balaji South Indian Foods (Anna), Koparkhairane


Anna as he is popularly called by all; made excellent tea, and I slurped some two-three glasses each time I went there. Anna and his store made quite an interesting watch - how his customers – kids, travelers, neighbors, people on their way to work, made a beeline for his tasty breakfast offerings…He managed the customers, making all (however small) customizations they asked for, managed the cooks, managed the vendors from whom he had to buy ingredients and still maintained a calm composure…

4 comments:

A. said...

Thanks a lot for you sweet reaction. At the moment I don't have time to watch movies because I've go a test week.
Have a nice weekend!

Kapil Munish said...

Indeed a nice picture of Bombay! Wish I could go there sometime :)
lets see when i come back then we may plan somethin...
Hows Junior Hosey???

Pel said...

I want to do the same kind of thing for Istanbul!

Unknown said...

Long pending... i finally get to read ur Blog... Reading about Bombay Heights, makes me feel nostalgic about the few days u were here..
You shoud plan another vist n we will revist bade miyaz n cafe mondegar.. What say?