Monday, July 26, 2010

Anti Christ (2009)





















Director: Lars Von Trier
Cast: Charlotte Gainsbourg, Willem Defoe
Wins at Cannes : Best Actress
Nomination at Cannes: Best Film


When Cannes gives a critical acclaim for a movie, and when its from Lars Von Trier, (considering you have been exposed to his works like Dogville, The Dancer in the Dark, Breaking the Waves) you know what you are going to experience is not going to be something less than extraordinary. I have seen ‘The Mirror’ during a film appreciation workshop, at New Delhi. And definitely you can see the influence of Tarkovsky’ s style, I felt. But then if you call it as a ‘grotesque masterpiece’ I think for me the definition is absolutely hits the nail. There are a multiple interpretations and sub plots and references in the movie; it’s a thesis.
I was not in the frame of mind for such an encounter.

Willem Defoe – I clearly remember him from Boondock Saints. Charlotte Gainsbourg – I remember her face very well, but not as which character.

I then saw, Shutter Island the next day. Why are all the big directors moving to the horror genre? Is it the latest fad?

No comments: