Friday, September 17, 2010

Our first guest for dinner @ 226, Golden Corner
















Our first guest to have dinner at 226, Golden Corner, was Tarun, who was on a 3 day official visit Bangalore. Thursday morning I get a call from Tarun, explaining his futile attempts to tell me earlier about his visits. I take refuge under the fact that it’s just the first week into marriage and that you are in a state where you are not sure what all is happening and even lesser time to figure it out…But then Tarun, says he needs a favor, he needs an ironed shirt for his client visit. I am fondly reminded of our earlier days @ Hutch Tower, where this was a common routine, to peep into others wardrobes for ironed shirts esp on bad days when all that you have washed and stacked in your wardrobe is your pajamas and sweatshirt.

I reach Tarun’s nest in the guest house, he gets dressed, we go back to our his old (and my only ) bay, and pleasantly knocked down by feelings of nostalgia. We agree to catch up for dinner@ Kanua. When I reach home, I see ‘kaya upperi’ (raw banana cooked w/o any gravy) and ‘Sāmbhar’ (the so called lentil soup garnished with tamarind and green veggies). I decide to change the venue for the dinner to our apartment, and try to entice Tarun with promises of home cooked pure South Indian dinner. Tarun, unknown to what’s in store yields.

Tarun takes a tour of our apartment, amazed by the colors of the walls, settles down on the only chair, the rocking chair. We catch up, mostly telling the stories and adventures of the Silent Seven Gang. These stories I have noticed always tend to sweep a lot of listeners, Ajomy was no exception.

We settled for dinner, this is the snap which was clicked then. I beautifully camouflage with the wall. Tarun realized what he had been tricked into, and kept his reach to the rice, pickle and scrambled eggs :)

We had a post dinner nostalgia laced, philosophical conversation, with dabs of humor, music, art and architecture conversation. I drop Tarun back at the guest house, return to our apartment, to realize, yes indeed this is a new phase of life; and I am in the thick of it!!

2 comments:

Kapil Munish said...

wow.. such a nice description of so many things... life - past, present friendship, love, care, food and what
I sure miss everything..

Vinod Jose said...

Yeah in more than one ways, we all miss our days together...