Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Midnight Cowboy (1969)

Midnight Cowboy (1969) Cast: Dustin Hoffman, Jon Voigt Academy Wins: Best Picture, Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay   I was expecting a lot different stuff to happen. The title and the wins were completely misleading. I use the word misleading in the sense of the word to reflect, my disappointment and not as a discovery. The subject, the characters evoked a feeling which I would not want to recollect. Human misery, pitiable living conditions and survival is subject for which my appetite to see on screen is diminishing. I remember watching other gut wrenching subjects, and notably works from Lars Von Trier and I not sure, if I can repeat that. I have started seeking different expectations for myself when I pick movies now.   If you can justify why you want to watch to yourself, you might as well find it worthwhile. I would otherwise, advise extreme caution. This is one of the movie, where my luck at picking one was really bad and my ethic of seeing it through forced me to the length of it.   Taxi driver, somewhat matches what I felt, after I watched Midnight Cowboy. But strangely, I did sit through some part of Taxi Driver again few days back on cable.

No comments: