Saturday, February 7, 2009

Movie Reviews











The Wrestler

When I used to think of Mickey Rourke, I used end up thinking about his roles as a debonair in
9 1/2 weeks, Wild Orchid...But then 'The Wrestler' was different.
If you ask me 'The Wrestler' is predictable, may be with a lot of cliche's and quite ordinary. However, rising above all that, the movie is beautiful. I fell in love instantly with the characters played by Rourke and Marisa. There is not much background given, no elaborate shots, no elaborate climax, but the movie has a charm. I was quite smitten by it.
Its the story in a way about a comeback, for the the wrestler and Mickey too (in real life).


The Reader

I liked the movie a lot. Kate Winslet steals the show in and out. I do not know how to put it, what to say on what I liked so much about the movie. Its been a long time I watched the movie which was kind of complete for me, a tight script, unpredictable, books, a good narrative, brilliant performances and like so many classics, the strong yearning by the protagonists to be together....
Ralph, reminded me so much from his role from 'Constant Gardener'...
Talking about the Reader, I feel that 'the movies based on Concentration Camps' receive a world wide acclaim with the critics. Its so true that so much happened during those times, that still so much that can be said about it. On a more lighter note, if you are aspiring to make it to the Academy Awards, be sure stick to the ordeals of Concentration for a sure shot nomination..


Gran Torino

Thanks to one of my friends from Facebook who recommended the movie; I discovored it was indeed a great one. And then came the Golden Globe nomination for the movie. . Its just story that happens in any one's backyard, yet its so powerful, so subtle. Clint Eastwood gives a brilliant performance, and the script helps you stay on with it from start to finish. Its quite unpredicatble, its also about integrity and I am quite a fan of that virtue myself.

No comments: