Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Immigrant




















When i read the first page of the book, I know whether its for me or not, mostly...And if its a book I am going to really treasure, the initial chapter itself will get me glued...If I need to try hard, its rare that I like the book and its course...

The Immigrant was of the former type, three paragraphs and I knew there was something about the book I would love...I had not heard of Manju Kapoor or her works earlier. The way Nina's character evolves, and matures, the details of her travels in Delhi, the way she describes the college (she says the 'double gate with the emblem crested' )Nina’s life in and out of books, her outlook towards life, a sense of purpose, her stint with modernism, yet holding on to the ground reality, her commitment to make it happen and work it out...Ananda's sometimes callous attitude, his indulgences and straying outside marriage, his shortcomings, his lies and deceits, her adventures outside marriage, her trip to India and Hardwar, her coming to understand herself...

Manju I feel didn’t really have to justify the end by defining who/what ‘The Immigrant’ stands, it was already for me evident, at least that’s what I think…

No comments: