Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Dog Days Afternoon



















I wanted some old time action, and knowing the recognition Dog Days Afternoon got at the Academy, it was an obvious choice. There was time when I had high regard for Al Pacino, but somewhere I started to notice that the characters he was casted had a similar trait. Since then, I started losing my admiration for him, and it just happened that I discovered a lot of other actors whom I had not noticed before.


Its all a mind game, bank robbery, demands, negotiation, decisions, mob, media coverage, FBI, cops…More than anything the beauty of the film is understanding how the psyche of different persons work in different situations. I remember once in college some person had come down to speak about MBA from ISB and he was asking the students if they knew what Stockholm Syndrome was. In more than one ways, you feel so much safe inside with Al Pacino in the bank than the world outside. Just the perspective of the film changes our ethical and moral equations. I particularly like the head clerk, a lady who is so true to her character she plays. I really liked observing her reactions and responses. Could they have really pulled off the whole show had they been more careful? What does it take to out-beat the strategists who are there to out wit and tire out the miscreants emotionally and physically? Some of the tactics is used by most strategists, still the cons fall trap to their lures.

No comments: