Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Last Lecture – Randy Pausch from Crossword






















I picked some DVDs from Cross Word in Shopper’s Stop. I went home and figured out that the region coding for the DVD is not supported by the DVD players in India. I decided to return the DVD and also my copy of the BBC version of “Midsummer Night’s Dream’. It got stuck on one particular chapter and no matter which player you tried. After a little discussion the store guy agreed to let me pick something worth the value. He not only billed me extra, he could not refund the money and gave me a credit note valid for 6 months. It just took away all the charm of picking up a book. Never the less, I feel it was worth it.

The Last Lecture was labeled as Crossword Recommends, and somewhere I re-collected that I had heard of the book. Later I found out it was my brother who had got the same book from his client and was quite impressed with it. I took time to read the book as it was really difficult to squeeze time. However there are some portions from the book which I really enjoyed. Though not for the literary content of the book, but the message was loud and clear. There are some instances which I disagree with him like wishing his wife in public, which I feel should have been a more private affair. I was quite kicked to read what he learnt during his football practice - “When you’re screwing up, and nobody’s saying anything to you anymore, that means they gave up.”

No comments: