Monday, November 8, 2010

God’s Mischief – Book + Movie























Author: M Mukundan
Translated by: Prema Jayakumar
Cast: Thilakan, Raghuvaran, Srividhya
Director: Lenin Rajendran

The Malayalam version is called – ‘Daivathinte Vikrithikal’; and the English version – God’s mischief. Well, the title itself declares what is in store. I saw the movie by Lenin Rajendran, first. I was moved by the awesome performance by Raghuvaran. Later when I read the book, whenever I read Father Alphonse, there was only one picture in mind, that of Raghuvaran. Vineet, plays Sasi/Shivan, and the same happened for him too. Srividhya, somehow didn’t fit my description of Maggie and so did Thilakan as Kumaran.

Raghuvaran’ s voice is his trademark; along with his frame. Who else could play Father Alphonse? I thought for a long time, did you think of someone?

The strong allegiance to the people and the land of Mayyazhi stand out. I am not able to express in words, how it felt to read the narrative, and repented of not knowing how to read Malayalam.

The movie treats the story slightly differently, but as M Mukundan himself worked in making the script for the movie, I am sure there are its own reasons. The cinema history has otherwise seen irreconcilable differences between film makers and authors. Stanley Kubrick and Anthony Burgess.

Raghuvaran, M Mukundan and Lenin – hats off to you three.

No comments: