Thursday, March 11, 2010

From Blighty with Love March 5-18 : Glorious 39















Directed by: Stephen Poliakoff
Cast: Ramola Garai, Bill Nighy, Charlie Cox

The are a series of movies being screened in India in association with the UK Film Council. In Bangalore they are being screened @ Fame, Lido…Now with the Metro work in progress, to reach Fame you have to take detour while coming from MG Road. The first film I saw as part of this, was Glorious 39.

There are two things which strikingly stand out in this film – the screenplay and the performance by Ramola Garai. I am surprised to notice that it is not an screenplay adaptation and instead an original one. While watching the film, I was almost convinced that it would have been an adaptation. Usually I tend a nothing before watching a film, so that I walk in w/o an unbiased mind…This would be the first work of Stephen Poliakoff, which I have seen.

The cinematography was breath taking, and so was the performance by Ramola. I vaguely remember seeing her in As You Like it and Atonement. Bill Nighy I remember from Love Actually and Charlie from Stardust.

I heard people walking out (there were hardly 10-15 people in the whole auditorium) saying it was a not long and the suspense was some blah blah….I mean for once people there are ways to appreciate a movie rather than criticizing and not liking a movie does in no way make you a better authority on films…Everyone has a taste, and everyone has a opinion - period.

No comments: