Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Invictus


























Director: Clint Eastwood
Cast : Morgan Freeman, Matt Damon
Academy Nominations: Best Actor in Leading Role and Best Actor in a Supporting Role

When Nelson is going for his morning jog, the day after he is elected the President, the newspapers carry the headline – ‘You have won the Election, but can you run a country?’. Nelson tells, ‘Yes it is a valid question’. This sets the pace for what is in store for us. Every moment, Nelson has to live up to the expectations of 43 million South African nationals, a rainbow nation with diversity in color and nationality. And Nelson is a shining example of an upright moral conscience, with the urge to make SA an leading nation on the world map.
When he invites Matt Damon for a discussion, he ask him a direct question, what is your philosophy of leadership?
Matt Damon is portrayed as a ordinary citizen, player and a captain. He does not suddenly become an unconquerable super hero out of the blue. Instead he feels the need to win, at any cost and inspire his team….

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

No comments: