Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Golden Globe Awards 2011



































Do you feel like watching the Golden Globe Awards? I mean you can know the results the next day, why bother. But still the red carpet is tempting. It is a sensational event, it is grand to see the showbiz fraternity under one roof, w/o any re-takes. Spontaneity though cannot be guaranteed. I mean these guys are actors. They get paid for putting up things on screen, doing stuff which they have no clue about. So, I guess spontaneity is completely out of question. The nervousness, the hurried speeches, the frantic efforts to look as if they have not memorized, the attempts to read out from pieces of paper, attempts to create spontaneous humor, attempts to be completely moved, shocked, taken by surprise…I mean who are they taking for a ride. The audience. Well, we are here for a good show, and you do it well, we all know that. Period.

I mean the Hollywood is phony. Baring a few; the rest are. I guess if they were normal, they would be no charm in the showbiz. I mean is it true for all of us. No. I want my stars from show biz to be real. People who sweat it out, toil, struggle and make their work of art. Work needs human effort, nothing comes out of the blue. I mean I am talking about movies, which change lives, affect lives. Well that can’t be a phony effort. I want real stars. You are good at something does not make the work effortless…

Never the less, I still continue to watch the Academy religiously year after year. Why? Well simply because, there are some strokes of brilliance from these stars, which just makes your day. And moreover its great o catch them sans re-takes and with their spouses/ the teams huddled up together and all…It is really a sight. More than that, it’s a personal pleasure to see your favorite picks getting the critics votes too. I mean Academy has been a yard stick with which I usually measure, the minimum number of movies I need to see in a year. I at least try to see the nominations and the wins. And it is even more great to see the underdogs win. I am sucker for screenplays. More for the Original ones than the Adapted.

This year if you look at the acceptance speeches, personally, I feel some people really looked stupid up there. Robert De Niro to start with, and equally stupid was the Matt Damon trying to mimic him. If that was funny, well I am out of tune. Now let us look at the acceptance speech of, well I guess I have started to forget who said what. I felt the acceptance speech was also a forum to let the world know what their respective spouse/bf/gf are doing. My husband choreographed the dance for the movie. My husband won the Golden Globe in 1962. I mean look how many people are going to hear it. It ‘s mind boggling.

Does it mean I abhor the award nights, well not at all. These are some things which stand out. But the spirit of winning and the celebration supersedes everything.

Amidst all this brouhaha, history is written for posterity.

No comments: