Friday, February 25, 2011

The Fighter (2010)






























Director: David O Russell
Cast: Christian Bale, Mark Wahlberg, Amy Adams, Melissa Leo.

Based on a true story.

When you see Christian Bale, in such a de-glamorized state, you wonder is he the same guy you saw in the Batman series. Well, the casting guys have always amazed me in spotting people. It’s difficult to conceive a role for a person, who has done some typecast roles earlier.

For instance in Fighter, look at Amy Adams. When I first noticed her in Enchanted, well I was she was the best for a princess in distress. Look at what she did in Doubt. I was simply awed at the transformation, and more so like I said about the casting guy to spot her. Now look at her in The Fighter. Same holds so true for Christian Bale. Batman series -> Prestige -> The Fighter!!!

I like boxing movies, and I liked a lot more when I saw it again quite later. The underdog winning is an instant thrill. And it works for me always.

The story has several sub plots, and equally involved side-kicks. The transformations happen all around, and the victory is not just for Mark Wahlberg, it’s for all. Watch it for the grit and determination, and fighting the odds. Actually there are a lot of odds in here. I liked the soundtrack as well.

Melissa Leo – I have seen her 21 grams, Frozen River and some more, but actually did not quite recollect her when I saw her in The Fighter. In fact I did not register her as an actress, her name and other details before. Though I knew the critical acclaim for Frozen River, little did I take notice of her.

This is first David O Russell for me, looking forward to watch I Love Huckabees.

No comments: