Monday, February 7, 2011

Godfather III




























Cast: Al Pacino, Diane Keaton, Sophia Coppola, Andy Garcia

Mario Puzo and Francis Ford Coppola have left behind, what should I say, nothing less than what was needed for a cult. I need not write anything about what Godfather means to cinema.

The duo were almost near perfection to what they wanted to build, an empire. And that empire stands still even now, after so many decades. Why? My best bet would be it’s a guy thing. Power, women and danger. Control.

One of my roommates for a brief six month stint, wrote a screenplay in Hindi for the Bollywood version of Godfather. Hugely successful, even after it was after decades it was adapted for Bollywood, how it appeals to the minds. Mafia is not unheard of in these parts, with various active so called families, ruled the city of Mumbai. So, I guess the Indian audience lapped it up. Prashant if you happen to read this, definitely you I must say, you know what tickles the Indian minds. You knew it too well. And that’s your claim to fame.

It’s great to see the full circle of time, the way how things were in Godfather I, appears to place itself mysteriously again. Life’s like that, everywhere.

No comments: