Saturday, January 30, 2010

Everjoy & Co - Footsteps in Time















Neatly tucked on the first floor of a building on the busy Commercial Street is Everyjoy and Co which deals in watch repairs for all international watch brands. It has stairs leading to the store just adjacent to a posh jewelry shop in town. When you climb up the narrow stairs you come to a well lit store with leather couches for customers to wait. There is a small counter, behind which I have seen an old lady, probably in her late 70’s dressed in an impeccable manner, and usually draped in a silk sari. Its so happens that is the only store which does this kind of work, and all the other retailers of the international brands would direct you here for any repairs.

Once when I had gone to get a original leather strap for my Swatch, the person who was there at there at the counter was in his late 70’s or early 80’s. The old lady was also there at the counter and their son, who himself was in his late 30’s. Astonishingly not only did the person advanced in age, know which was the black strap for Swatch and where it was kept but also himself in front of me removed my old strap gingerly with his instruments and replaced it with the new one. He is a person with humorous temperament and as you would have guessed, an eye for detail. When my card did not get swiped, he jokingly said its because its not signed on the hind side. I mean someone with such a zest for life and precision at work at that age was indeed a moment of inspiration for me. He also knew that the model which I had taken for a leather strap originally does not come in leather strap version. He shared this information with his son, who was all ears to what he had to say.

Today when I went to get there again, to put a new battery in the watch; the son attended me very politely. Quickly took the watch inside, (you can see what goes on through the glass door) and himself replaced the battery. Father like son, he too knew his job, and did not expect the other people employed at his store to do it. As no one was there, he himself did and with so much panache

No comments: