Sunday, January 3, 2010

Paleri Manikyam























Well when I heard the name of the movie, and vaguely remember seeing some trailers, I though it was all about black magic. I was well, what should I say soft talked to come for the movie. I do that sometimes, because after all a movie does have something to offer, always.

With all those at the back of the mind, we walked into the movie theater with a particularly low attendance. It starts of with a narrative from Mammootty, and sometimes I find the narrative in Malayalam movies to be forcefully literary w/o any particular need. I felt the same about this maybe till the time the story actually goes back to the time when it actually happened.

There are so many characters introduced, each one having a role to play, each of them knowing some part of the truth, each of them linked to the plot intricately. There are some phrases which I still remember something to the tune of saying that Sreenivasan was the ‘intellect of the village’, the madman ‘the sleeping consciousness of the village’. Also like in Shakespeare, the madman has the liberty to speak, speak his mind freely. Even in a free world, even amongst people whom we know and are free, are we really free to speak our mind, we are conditioned, hence we sometimes do not.

I am not sure if the movie is an adaptation of a book, because it so very looks so.

No comments: