Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Class (Entre les Murs)












The Class (Entre les Murs)

It is based on a based on a semi-autobiographical novel by François Bégaudeau, directed by Cantet. Interestingly not only is the screenplay screenplay written by François, but also he plays the lead role...

While I was picking up tickets for the movie, the person at the counter told me; 'French Movie, with subtitles'...I nodded and said I know. Strangely I noticed a man standing near the counter, watching me carefully, and he came up and asked..what is the movie about? I replied it was nominated for the Best Foreign Langauge category..he insisted, what is it about...I didn't know, I rarely read reviews before watching the movie so as to not to walk into the theater with pre-concieved notions...I decided to put it something like this to the stranger 'Its about a suburb, in France'...

The movie does justice to what it attempts to potray. Even without any personal history being disclosed about the characters, by the end of the movie, you form an opinion about all. Just like teachers who walk into a class full of new students, form opinion by the end of the term. You hardly get to see what goes on outside the class; baring some other intersting conversations and proceedings at the school. Various shots reminded me of To Sir with Love, especially when François overlooks courtyard from the window..

There are so many nuances in the langauge, so many issues which get discussed, so many impressions you can make out of the students that you cannot afford to stray away from the movie...Its obvious François is not the best teacher who can tackle all questions and all situations tactfully, but he is not conventional. The questions are tricky, the situations are difficult, and he is no hero to wade them through effortlessly. I like that part of the movie really...

I was wanting to hear from so many other students in the class, but they hardly revealed themselves...Sans music, sans glamor, "The Class' stands apart as a great movie, to be remembered for years to come. A well deserved win at the Cannes...

I saw the man at the counter inside the theater watching the movie, not sure whether my response prompted him to pick the tickets and equally unsure if he liked the movie...But then, I enjoyed every moment of it..

No comments: